Corinna Kern is a German photojournalist and documentary photographer based in Israel.
Inclined towards the counter-cultural and non-mainstream, her work gives intimate insights into people’s lives on the margins of society. Capturing the humanity behind their nonconformist choices from an insider-perspective, Kern’s candid photography proposes a challenge to preconceived notions.
Coming from a background of video editing at one of Germany’s major TV stations “Westdeutscher Rundfunk”, Kern fully devoted herself to her passion by taking up a Master in Photojournalism at the University of Westminster in London in 2012. Upon completion of her studies with distinction in 2013 she was selected for a mentorship with Getty Images Reportage, followed by the Getty Images Reportage Emerging Talent Award in 2014. After freelancing in South Africa for two years while extensively working on personal long-term projects, she relocated to Israel in 2016 where she continues her focus on people and communities of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Her work gained international recognition through prestigious photo contests, such as Pictures Of The Year International, NPPA Best of Photojournalism, Sony World Photography Awards, International Photography Awards, Lensculture Awards, Photolucida Critical Mass, among others. Her photographic work has been featured in renowned publications, such as TIME Lightbox, The New York Times, CNN, Vice, Magazine du Monde, Marie Claire, Stern, Die Zeit, Spiegel, De Standaard, Esquire, and others.
Corinna is available for assignments worldwide.
- International Photography Awards, 'Lifestyle', 1st Place
- Eddie Adams Workshop
- Sony World Photography Awards, 'Portraiture', Shortlisted
- Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism, Finalist
- Kuala Lumpur International Photoawards, 'Stillness & Distance', Finalist
- Kuala Lumpur International Photoawards, 'Open Category', Finalist
- Head On Photo Festival, 'Portrait Category', Finalist
- Photolucida Critical Mass Top50, Finalist
- International Photography Awards, 'People, Lifestyle', 3rd Place
- International Photography Awards, 2x Honorable Mention
- Lensculture Portrait Awards, Finalist
- NPPA Best of Photojournalism, 'Contemporary Issues Story', 3rd Place
- Pictures of the Year International, 'Feature Picture Story', 3rd Place
- The Documentary Collection Exposure Award, Finalist
- Alexia Foundation Professional Grant, Shortlisted
- 30 under 30 Contest by The Photography Show & Magnum Photos, Shortlisted
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris, White Competition, Honorable Mention
- International Photography Awards: 'One Shot / Home', Honorable Mention
- One Eyed Jacks Open Call, 2nd Place
- Getty Images Reportage Emerging Talent Award, Winner
- Photolucida Critical Mass Top50, Finalist
- Lensculture Emerging Talent Awards Top50, Finalist
- ND Awards, category 'Environmental', 2nd Place
- ND Awards, category 'Photojournalism/Story', Honorable Mention
- Moscow International Foto Awards, category 'Personality', 2nd Place
- Moscow International Foto Awards, 3x Honorable Mention
- Go Indie Photo Contest, category 'Lifestyle', Winner
- Perugia Social Photo Fest, Honorable Mention
- PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris, Honorable Mention
- PDNedu Student Photography Contest, Honorable Mention
- Magnum Showcase 'Youth Culture', Winner
- Getty Images Reportage, Selected for Mentorship
- The Guardian Student Media Awards, Shortlisted
EXHIBITIONS & SCREENINGS
- IPA Best of Show, New York: Exhibition of 'Female Maskers'
- Lumix Photo Festival, Hannover: Exhibition of 'Female Maskers'
- Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition, London: Screening of 'Female Maskers'
- Lodz Fotofestiwal, Poland: Exhibition 'Critical Mass' / Photo Contest Finalists
- Head On Photo Festival, Australia: Exhibition of portrait 'Female Masker'
- Angkor Photo Festival, Cambodia: Screening of 'George's World'
- Circulations Festival, France: Screening of 'George's World'
- Photon Festival, Lithuania: Screening of 'George's Bath'
- Boutographies Rencontres Photographique, France: Screening of 'George's Bath'
- One Eyed Jacks Open Call, Brighton, UK: Exhibition of 'Mama Africa'
- Lensculture Emerging Talent, Barcelona: Exhibition of 'George's Bath'
- Seoul Lunar Photo Fest, Korea: Screening of 'George's World'
- New York PhotoWorld Festival, USA: Exhibition of 'George's Bath'
- Backlight Photo Festival, Finland: Exhibition of 'A Place Called Home'
- Krakow Photo Fringe Festival, Poland: Exhibition of 'A Place Called Home'
- British Shorts Film Festival, Berlin: Exhibition of 'A Place Called Home'